y - Samuel Fehler (deceased)
Level 4 Half-Elf Warlock [NG]
Half-Elf Warlock (Great Old One [Sunfish] Pact) [NG]
Updated after Expedition 52
Still choosing feat or ability scores
|STR: 8||DEX: 12||CON: 14||INT: 8||WIS: 10||CHA: 18|
|HP: 35.1||AC: 13||XP: 5440 / 4800||Save Proficiencies: WIS, CHA|
|Passive Perception: 10||Passive Investigation: 9||Senses: Darkvision 60’||Spell Save DC: 14||Speed: 40||Height: 5’11"||Weight: 150|
|Boons:||Fire Prince’s Favour: +10 movement speed; 2000XP||Danger Room Attunement: +5 HP, Locked Attunement slot until level 7|
|Armor and Weapon Proficiencies:||Light Armor||Simple Weapons||Herbalism Kit (limited to fungus, seaweed, algae, and so on).|
|Agonizing Blast||+6||120’||1d10+4 Force||V / S||Sunfish Harpoon, as Samuel lovingly knows it.|
|Toll the Dead|| WIS DC 14||60’||1d8 necrotic damage vs. full hp targets; 1d12 vs. targets that have taken damage.||V/S||Call to the Final Sea|
|Sickle||+ 1||melee||1d4-1 Slashing||N/A||Mostly for cutting down fungus. Not really intended for combat.|
|Dissonant Whispers||WIS DC14||60’||4d6||V||Target flees; save half and no fleeing. Deaf creatures are immune|
|Hex||N/A||90’||N/A||V / S / M||Target receives +1d6 necrotic damage from my attacks dis on chosen ability. Concentration up to 1h (8h @ SL3, 25h @ SL5)|
Awakened Mind: I can telepathically speak to creatures I can see within 30 ft if they know a language
Pact of the Tome: I have a Book of Shadows with any three cantrips of my choosing. I can cast these cantrips as long as I have the book on my person. Regardless of the lists they come from, these count as warlock cantrips to me. I can get a replacement book with a 1-hour ceremony during a short or long rest.
Background – Hermit of the Los: My time as the Hermit of the Los gives me the following features:
- Dreams of the Lost Ocean: My connection with specific environments lets me commune, using Awakened Mind, with the flora associated with my patron, the glorious Sunfish. This includes algae, fungus, and seaweed. I can also commune with my patron at still pools of water. In both cases, I do not receive direct information; rather emotional and atmospheric impressions related to the type of psychic energy most recently in the locale.
- Calm Waters: I have advantage on piloting and navigating small boats (such as rowboats) and concentration checks caused by water (e.g. trying to concentrate on a hex while also swimming). I add my proficiency bonus as an additional bonus to survival checks to forage in or around water and investigation checks to establish the health of waterways.
Priestly Duties: As a priest of the Sunfish, Samuel has the following imperatives.
- Seek my relics. The Sunflail made its way to the old world long ago, whose spiny protrusions and purple effusance will mark it. There is also the Lost Sun Helm, a leathery cap which grants the wearer knowledge of every spoken tongue, vision even in darkness, and a persuasiveness quite like the Sunfish’s! Finally, the Smiling Shield, whose edges are reminiscent of the Sunfish’s own toothy maw, which can eat magical projectiles and convert them into the brilliant light of the first lost sun. Samuel will not kill himself looking for these things, but is definitely interested in pushing the party to explore ruins, caverns, and the like to seek out these relics.
- Seek out ancient allies. The Sunfish’s language is old and so beautiful. Any creature that knows Deepspeech might make a great ally in Samuel’s quest. Yet the Sunfish warns not all deepspeech speakers will have the same designs as he. Nevertheless, he takes a trusting nature towards Deepspeech speakers, though if they conflict with the Sunfish directly, he swings the other way and is suspicious and wary. Samuel has disadvantage on insight checks when interacting in Deepspeech. He suffers a further -2 penalty if the creature is obviously water-oriented, and -4 if they look like the Sunfish.
- Prepare the new continent for the Champions of Sunny Seas. A warrior to come who the Sunfish’s final paladin, hopes to escape his own watery prison and travel to these lands. To this end, Samuel feels obligated to give charity to the base and generally help the heroic efforts, for surely the Champion of Sunny Seas will need such things when he arrives. This preparation also involves setting up a hidden church for the sunfish, whose followers-to-come must be underground still due to the imposter sun in the sky.Samuel must dedicate a portion of his gold to the construction and establishment of this important church.
- Agonizing Blast: I can add my Charisma modifier to the damage of my Eldritch Blast cantrip
- Book of Ancient Secrets: I can add any two 1st-level spells that have the ritual tag to my Book of Shadows. If I come across spells with the ritual tag, I can transcribe them into my book, as well. I can cast any of these spells in my Book of Shadows as rituals, but not as normal spells. I can cast my known warlock spells as rituals if they have the ritual tag.
- Agonizing Blast (120’ – Cha Mod force damage (V,S, Action)
- Minor Illusion (30’ – - DC 14 PER): 5-ft cube illusion includes visible or audible; Int(Investigation) check vs. Spell DC; see book (1 minute, S,M, Action)
- Toll the Dead (60’ -DC 14 WIS): 1d8 necrotic damage; if the creature has already taken damage, 1d12 necrotic damage instead (V, S, Action).
- Dissonant Whispers (60’ – DC 14 WIS): 4d6 and flee, save for half and no flee (V, Action)
- Hex (90’): Creature takes +1d6 Necro damage from subsequent attacks and disadv. on one chosen ability check. Conc 1h. (V,S,M, bns action).
- Detect Thoughts (60’ – DC 14 WIS): I read the thoughts of visible creature, Int>3 or detect presence of invisible creatures within 30 ft; save to resist the probe. (V, S, M, Conc. Max 1 Minute, Action)
- Hold Person (60’ – DC 14 WIS): 1+1/SL humanoid within 30 ft of each other save or paralyzed; extra save at end of each turn (V,S,M, Conc. max 1 minute, action)
- Invisibility (touch): 1+1/SL crea invisible; attacking/casting makes the crea visible; anything worn/carried also invisible (V,S,M, Conc. max 1 minute, action)
- Guidance (Touch): 1 willing creature adds +1d4 to ability check of its choice, after ruling, once during duration (V,S, Conc. 1 minute max, action)
- Thaumaturgy (Touch): Minor wonder; your voice booms, flames flicker, tremors in the ground, ominous sounds, etc. (1 minute, V, Action)
- Shape Water (30’): 5 cu. feet of water; instant move or change its flow, shape or freeze it for 1 hour. (S, Action)
- Ceremony (Touch, 70-minute ritual): You perform one of several religious ceremonies. When you cast the spell, choose one of the following ceremonies, the target of which must be within 10 feet of you throughout the casting (V,S, M[25 gp worth of powdered silver]):
Atonement. You touch one willing creature whose alignment has changed, and you make a DC 20 Wisdom (Insight) check. On a success, you restore the target to its original alignment.
Bless Water. You touch one vial of water and cause it to become holy water.
Coming of Age. You touch one humanoid old enough to be a young adult. For the next 24 hours, whenever the target makes an ability check, it can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the ability check. A creature can benefit from this ceremony just once.
Dedication. You touch one humanoid who would willingly convert to your religion or who wishes to be dedicated to your god’s service. For the next 24 hours, whenever the target makes a saving throw, it can roll a d4 and add the number
rolled to the save. A creature can benefit from this ceremony just once.
Funeral Rite . You bless one corpse within 5 feet of you. For the next 24 hours, the target can’t become undead by any means short of a wish spell.
Investiture. You touch one willing humanoid. Choose one 1st-level spell you have prepared and expend a spell slot and any material components as if you were casting that spell. The spell has no effect. Instead, the target can cast this spell once without having to expend a spell slot or use material components. If the
target doesn’t cast the spell within 1 hour, the invested spell is lost.
Marriage. You touch adult humanoids willing to be bonded together in marriage. For the next 24 hours, each target gains a +2 bonus to AC and saving throws while they are within 30 feet of each other. A creature can benefit from this ceremony just once [ed. thanks, WotC].
- Speak with Animals (Self, 10 minute ritual): You gain the ability to comprehend and verbally communicate with beasts for the duration. The knowledge and awareness of many beasts is limited by their intelligence, but at minimum, beasts can give you information about nearby locations and monsters, including whatever they can perceive or have perceived within the past day. You might be able to persuade a beast to perform a small favor for you, at the DM’s discretion (V,S, 10 Minute Dura).
|Wand arcane focus||1||1 lbs.|
|Studded Leather armour||1||13 lbs.|
|Common clothes (under studded leather)||1||3 lbs|
|Backpack, with||1||5 lbs.|
|Blocks of incense||2||0 lbs.|
|Rations, days of||6||12 lbs.|
|Winter Blanket||1||3 lbs.|
|Herbalism Kit||1||3 lbs.|
|Fishing Tackle||1||4 lbs.|
|Scroll case with notes||1||1 lbs.|
|Holy Water||4||2 lbs.|
|Net (taken from Apostates in the Jungle)||1||2 lbs.|
|Cashbox||1||0 GP (591GP on death taken over by the First Church of the Sunfish)|
|Barrel (filled with water)||1||n/a|
“When the world is the sea, the heaviest parts of mankind sink to the bottom. There they dwell in the dark. There they remain untouched by light to fester, to wither, to die.”
Samuel does not remember what began his exile. He lived in a large city. He thinks he worked as an artist… a stage-actor perhaps? He certainly remembers being other people. But something happened, and he fled.
“The lightest parts of mankind float to the surface. There they are weightless, unburdened by doubt. There, they bask in the red sun, that first and primal sun that was lost to centuries of mankind.”
His earliest solid memories are on Los, a small island in the middle of the Trübensee. In these memories he builds a shack. He fortifies that shack. He fishes and scours the island, and learns to love its flora roasted over an open flame. Its fauna, likewise cooked. Frogs and kelps. Scurrying mammals and radiant fungi. He remembers overwhelming anxiety and fear at the thought of returning to the city. He remembers people on the far coast of the Trübensee shouting his name, taking to small boats to cross and meet him. He remembers a deep swell of anxiety and he remembers hiding. He does not remember these people ever reaching him.
“Like mankind’s lightest parts, all that is good flourishes on the world-spanning sea: trees growing like free-floating lilies and and carpets of verdant green algae spreading forth like gorgeous meadows. Nature now is nowhere near as beautiful as it will be under that lost sun, brilliant in its reds and blacks. Only such a gem could preside over a sky unbordered by troublesome earth.”
The Innerensee. A crystal-clear pool of water at the centre of Los. There, Samuel gladly fished. The Trübensee, with its dark murk of muddy waters and large lumpy fish, was like the cities across its breadth; uninviting, agitated, busy. The Innerensee gave only the fish one needed. There always seemed to be just enough food there to sustain Samuel, clearly visible in its crystal waters.
One fishing trip, the line snagged. There was nothing to snag on, but it did. And when he finally reeled in his line, the fish that came with was far bigger than any he had seen. The fish was sickly, gentle-eyed and calm. In the Sunfish’s presence, anxiety melted. It wasn’t caught on the hook. Rather, the hook levitated above it. And this fish spoke to Samuel, deep in his soul. In the fish, his exile finally made sense. Immediately, Samuel knew. Why he left is unimportant. Why he is here is all there is. And he is here to serve the Sunfish.
“This is what the Sunfish shows me. The world sea, crowned by a lost red sun, now hidden deep within the depths of the earth. I will show you the light, and we will float without worries into the endless sunset.”